Preston Patrick Meeting
Meeting for Worship
Preston Patrick Quaker Meeting House has a medium-sized room for Worship and a small room upstairs which holds 2 to 6 people.
We hold Meeting for Worship every Sunday from 10.30 am to 11.30 am, after which we have refreshments and a chance to talk.
We also have a shorter Meeting for Worship on the last Sunday of each month from 6 pm to 6.30 pm. Friends and visitors are welcome at all Meetings—just turn up.
The Friends’ Meeting House is down a lane, and is signposted off the A65 Kendal to Kirkby Lonsdale road. The turning is opposite the Preston Patrick Village Hall, and the Meeting House is about 1½ miles down the lane. Visitors are very welcome to visit the Meeting House by prior arrangement with the clerk.
OS grid reference: SD542841
Postcode: LA7 7NZ
There is no specific regular Meeting but children are always welcome to attend by arrangement—Contact the Clerk by completing the form below.We try to give a prompt reply
The ground floor is wheelchair-accessible, and there is an accessible toilet available across the yard. There is a hearing loop in the main meeting room.
There is adequate parking on Sundays (for 8-10 cars).
The Meeting room and upstairs room are both available for hire. ( click below on Contact enquiries form)
The Meeting House
The Meeting House is simple, plain and uncluttered, in line with Quaker principles. There is no imagery. The walls have wood panelling, and there are simple wooden benches as well as chairs. The Meeting House sits within peaceful burial grounds. There is a grassed area which is bordered by mature trees. There are a number of Quaker burial tablets; the earliest burial here was of Mabel Camm in 1689.
Preston Patrick is of historical and religious importance. The Westmorland Seekers movement had its heart here. The first Meeting House at Preston Patrick was built in 1691 on land given by John Camm after the Act of Tolerance in1689; until then, ‘Seekers’ had met in fields and barns. On 16th June 1652 George Fox preached at the chapel of St Gregory, Preston Patrick, following his preaching on Firbank Fell near Sedbergh.
Early Quakers who lived in Preston Patrick and were part of the ‘Valiant Sixty’ ( see below) included John Audland and John Camm, Ann Audland (neé Camm) and Mabel Camm. Together with Jane and Dorothy Waugh, 2 young servants who lived with the Camms, Ann and Mabel played a significant role in the work and life of Quakers, preaching around the country. Dorothy Waugh met the Mayor of Carlisle following her arrest for preaching. Asked by the Mayor where she had come from, she replied, ‘Out of Egypt where thou lodgest’. Speaking truth to power is central to Quaker life, then and now!
The Valiant Sixty
The Valiant Sixty were a group of early activists and preachers in the Religious Society of Friends, the majority of whom came from Northern England. They spread the ideas of Friends in the mid-1600s. Cumbrian group members included Margaret Fell of Swarthmoor Hall (she later married George Fox), Francis Howgill and his sister Mary (from Howgill near Sedbergh), Anne and John Audland, John and Mabel Camm, Jane and Dorothy Waugh (all from Preston Patrick), and Edward Burroughs and George Whitehead. The Valiant Sixty can be considered to be early practitioners of civil disobedience.
If you’d like to find out more about Preston Patrick’s place in the story of Quakerism, we recommend:
The Rise of the Quakers: Revaluing the Place of Preston Patrick in the Early Movement by Peter Lucas
(PJYL Publishing: Kirkby Lonsdale, 2017) ISBN 978-0-9569103-3-2
Also The Cradle of Quakerism. Exploring Quaker Roots in North West England by Arthur Kincaid.
More information about local Quaker history, as well as details of a wonderful long distance walk, can be found in the recently-published Friends Way 1: George Fox’s journey by Martin Budgett and Jaquetta Megarry
(Rucksack Readers: Edinburgh, 2022) ISBN: 978-1913817060.
Westmorland Show – The counties largest agricultural show happens once a year, just round the corner from Preston Patrick.
A Yoga group is held each Thursday morning from 10.30 until 11.15 see website for information (integrating health.com)