Kirby Stephen Meeting
Meeting for Worship
48A High Street
Worship is usually followed by a short group discussion assisted by a cup of tea or coffee. We enjoy having visitors and enquirers with us for Meeting for Worship.
- We are currently a small group with no young people regularly attending the meeting. However, we have a room equipped for a Sunday School, and are adjacent to the Town Field crossed by a footpath and containing a children’s playground.
- Wheelchair access to the Meeting room is available but a car cannot be left on our premises.
- We do not have a car park but there is free on-street parking nearby.
The Meeting House, No 48A, is towards the south end of the High Street, up a lane leading east from the A 685 main road.
It is clearly marked and a short walk to the south (towards Tebay, the M6 and Kendal) from the centre of the town.
There were Quakers living in the farms in the surrounding area in the late 17th century, but we have no record of a Quaker Meeting House in Kirkby Stephen then. Several long disused Quaker burial grounds and the remains of a Meeting House can still be identified in the locality.
In about 1925 a Quaker Meeting was established in Kirkby Stephen, meeting in each other’s homes. The present building was bought in 1929 along with the neighbouring house and ever since has housed the local Quaker Meeting.
In 1931 part of the building became a Youth Hostel, the first to be established in Lakeland Region (as the Lake District was then called). It closed in 1980, the hostel moving closer to the town centre. The first floor had been converted to a flat when in 2006 the adjacent house was sold.
The building was extensively refurbished to create the present Meeting House in 2007.
Rooms for hire
Groups within the local community make extensive use of our premises, considered by some to be the best small warm room available for hire in the town.
- We have two rooms available and a kitchen.
- The kitchen is equipped with a cooker, microwave, kettles, crockery, and cutlery.
- We have toilets including a disabled toilet and disabled access to the building.
- Please contact us for rates and terms of letting.